Monday, September 1, 2008

Goodbye Grand Father

Today was the last day of my Grand father's wake.
Its been a tiring 5 days of emotional ups and downs.

We had the standard Buddhist prayers every evening. Throng of friends and relatives came down. Tons of condolences blankets to be hung and flowers to be received.

But nothing beats the last day.
At the end of the final prayer we were told to place flowers and decorate the coffin. At this time the band starting playing the tunes for the departed. While we follow behind the van , everyone was chanting the very chant we were taught too. It sounded so depressing. I can see my relatives all tearing , i uncontrollably teared. I always thought i was in different but i surprised myself for being the most emotional among the male cousins.


The most surreal part of all is when the whole family went to collect my grand father's ashes. We each pick up one of the bone remains and place it into the urn. While doing that we were told to say some prayers.

All is over now and I hope i don't have to go through any of these events any time soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry to hear about ur traumatizing experience sis.

may ur grandfather be in a happier place.

victoria